For years, you may have been putting yourself in the “dry skin” category, but could your skin have been dehydrated all along? Hydration and moisture are two terms that have been used interchangeably in the beauty industry for decades. But there are vast differences between them and knowing is key to solving your skin issues.
So, What’s the Difference?
In short, hydration refers to water and moisture refers to oil or sebum (natural oils in the skin). Your skin needs both water and oil to function (and look) its best. However if your hormones are imbalanced they can negatively impact the natural production of these two glow-inducing building blocks, leaving you with skin in need of some help.
The Dehydrated Skin — Hormone Connection
Dehydrated skin is often itchy and dull and prone to pronounced dark circles and fine lines and wrinkles. Low estrogen levels reduce the natural production of hyaluronic acid in your skin leading to a dull complexion, while low DHEA causes your skin’s collagen production to slow way down. Without enough collagen to support your skin structure and function, your skin thins making it more prone to dullness and irritation.
Supplements to Rebalance
Estrogen Revive – this supplement helps to regulate your estrogen levels which decline upon entering peri/menopause. Formulated with five clinically proven and antioxidant-rich botanicals that help to boost collagen and reduce fine lines and wrinkles.
Longevity Revitalize – this supplement boosts your body’s most potent anti-aging hormone, DHEA, to slow down the effects of aging inside and out. DHEA levels naturally decline with age - leading to inflammation and stress in the body. By harnessing the power of pure DHEA (derived from wild yams), this vital supplement plumps and firms skin, reducing wrinkles and fine lines.
Skincare to Treat Dehydrated Skin:
- Advanced Hydration Cleanser is a good first step in your skincare routine. This oil-based cleanser is specifically formulated to target dehydrated and dull skin caused by hormone imbalances. It cleans while infusing the skin with powerful ingredients that help support your skin barrier and its ability to retain moisture.
- Hydration Balance Vital Concentrate rehydrates the skin with 4D hyaluronic acid (HA). This biomimetic form of hyaluronic acid penetrates all layers of the skin to lock in and replenish hydration while helping the skin to rebalance its own hyaluronic acid production.
The Dry Skin — Hormone Connection
Dry skin is a lack of moisture a.k.a. lack of sebum in your skin. Dry skin often shows itself through dry patches, flakiness, and irritation. Low testosterone levels reduce sebum production which leads to a weakened barrier and skin dryness. Low progesterone levels also lower sebum production leading to a depletion in essential moisture.
Supplements to Rebalance:
Skincare for Dry Skin:
- Cycle Harmony – Formulated with clinically proven botanicals to support your body’s natural biological rhythm, helping to balance progesterone, estrogen, and prolactin levels – the key hormones that change throughout the female cycle. Progesterone is the 'glow' hormone, and works to strengthen the skin barrier, locking in moisture.
- Inflammation Response Vital Concentrate is excellent for replenishing moisture. Not only is it formulated with blemish-fighting ingredients, it’s also packed with Squalane, Nigella Seed and Rosehip Oils that moisturize to improve skin barrier function and smooth over any dry spots.
- Regenerating Infusion Vital Concentrate revitalizes dull flakey skin with gentle exfoliation and moisture. The formula features 8% Glycolic Acid, an optimal level to gently, yet effectively exfoliating to promote cellular turnover. It also contains Benthi Plant Peptides, a powerhouse retinol alternative, which helps stimulate the skin’s natural production of lipids to remoisturize the skin barrier.
For Dehydrated and Dry Skin?
Don't forget the essential – moisturizer.
BioEvolve Moisturizer – this all-in-one supercream is designed to feed the skin like a daily topical multivitamin. It's packed with a blend of ingredients rooted in functional medicine to bring balance to the skin’s microbiome, in turn boosting radiance, increasing moisture, and soothing irritation.
And last but not least – drink plenty of water, it makes up 60% of our body!